During British Asparagus Season, I eat bundles of this wonderful “grass” so this dish is always very welcome. It is simple and totally delicious. The dressing really makes it more special.
Prep and Cooking Time: Under an hour
Cookware: A large covered roasting tray and an egg pan
- bundle of asparagus spears – woody ends trimmed
- 300-400g new potatoes – sliced into rounds
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 150g cherry / plum tomatoes
- 3 – 4 eggs
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- chilli – finely chopped, to taste
- garlic – crushed, to taste
- 1/2 lemon – squeezed
- 1 tsp honey (I like sweet and savoury)
- chopped flat-leaved parsley
- salt / black pepper
Coat potato slices in a little oil, sprinkle with smoked paprika and salt, place in tin and roast 180c / Gas 5 for 12-15 minutes.
Remove the tin from the oven, turn potatoes and layer the asparagus and tomatoes on top. Drizzle with a splash of oil and a pinch of salt, return to the oven and roast for 8 – 10 minutes until all cooked.
Turn off oven and keep the veggies warm whilst cooking eggs.
I sometimes fry and sometimes poach the eggs but whatever your choice, make sure they are still runny.
Divide the potatoes and tomatoes between two warmed plates, top with asparagus and eggs, then drizzle with the garlicy, lemony, chilli, herby oil.
Enjoy! I could eat this every day!