Lots of lovely flavours in this nutritious vegan comfort bowl using delicious British cauliflowers.
This is very much an assembled dish of four elements: Grains, Veggies, Drizzle and Sprinkle.
To top the warm vegetables, I make a creamy tahini dressing and sprinkle over toasted pistachios and fresh herbs.
Portions: 2 generous
Prep and Cook Time: Over an hour
Cookware: A large lined roasting tray and a saucepan
Oven: 200C / Gas 6
- 1 small cauliflower – cut into florets
- 2 small sweet potatoes (approx 300g)
- 1 red onion – cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp harissa (optional)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tin chickpeas – drained
- 120g bulgar wheat, couscous or any grain
Preheat your oven, then in a mixing bowl, combine the oil with the harissa and add the prepared cauliflower, sweet potatoes and onion. Sprinkle in the spices and mix all ingredients so the veggies are coated with the oily spices.
Place them on the lined baking tray and roast for 20 minutes, turning once. After 20 minutes, add the chickpeas. Mix well so they are also coated in seasonings, then return to the oven for another 5 – 10 minutes until the veggies are roasted and slightly charred.
Meanwhile, cook your grains, prepare the tahini drizzle and toppings.
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 lemon – zested and juiced
- 1 small garlic clove – crushed, to taste
- 1 tbsp natural yogurt (or vegan alternative)
- 1 tsp date syrup – if you like sweetish
- chilli flakes, to taste
In a small bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients. Add a splash of water to loosen consistency, if needed, and season to taste. Put aside until time to assemble.
- 2 tbsp pistachio kernels – dry toasted (2 minutes) in a pan then roughly chopped
- mint, coriander and parsley leaves – roughly torn (whichever you have available)
- pomegranate molasses
Once all the elements are ready, it’s time to assemble.
Into bowls, spoon a bed of grains top with veggies, tahini sauce and sprinkled with nuts and herbs. If using, drizzle pomegranate molasses over.