English asparagus is very special and as the season only lasts a few weeks, we have to make the most of this wonderful and versatile vegetable.
Here is my delicious and fresh salad to enjoy during this short season.
It’s perfect as is, or served topped with burrata or mozzarella. I also love as a side to enjoy with salmon or any fish, of choice.
Try to make in advance, allowing the flavours to mingle.
Portions: 2 generous
Prep and Cook Time: 1 hour
Cookware: A lined roasting tin and a small saucepan
Oven: 180C / Gas 5
- 400g asparagus – trimmed
- 1 large or 2 small courgettes – cut into slim batons
- 1/2 bulb fennel – roughly chopped
- 1 large shallot – cut lengthwise
- oil and salt
- 100g Italian spelt (or any grains)
- 1 ripe avocado (optional)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon – zest and juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 generous tsp honey
- pinch of salt
- chilli – to taste (optional)
- parsley – chopped (optional)
- 30g hazelnuts / pistachios – dry toasted and roughly chopped
- 30g Parmesan – shavings or grated
- burrata or mozzarella (optional)
Firstly, cook your grains, as per instructions. Drain and put aside.
Whilst the grains cook, place the prepared veggies onto the lined oven tray, drizzle with a little oil and a sprinkle of salt, coat well and pop into the oven for 10 minutes, or until roasted to liking.
Meanwhile, make your dressing in a jar and shake well.
When all the components are ready it’s time to assemble.
Place the cooked grains on the base of a serving dish, arrange the roasted veggies and sliced avocado on top. Evenly drizzle the dressing over then sprinkle with the Parmesan and nuts. Great served with bread as a delicious lunch.
I hope you enjoy as much as I do!