This is a colourful and flavoursome vegan recipe, which really satisfies a big appetite plus it’s easy to cook in any tiny space.
I’ve used a mixture of fresh and store cupboard ingredients and found it a good one to prepare in advance of your mealtime.
Prep & Cook Time: Over 1 hour
Cookware: Wok, rice saucepan and a foil-lined oven tray
- 200g smoked tofu (If you use natural tofu, add a little more seasoning)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 100g brown rice – cooked (or pouch)
- 1 red onion – chopped
- 2 garlic cloves – finely chopped
- 1 red / yellow pepper – chunky chop (or one of each if you need to use up)
- 1 green pepper – chunky chop
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- chilli – chopped, to taste or 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tin kidney / cannellini beans (400g) and the water
- 1 small tin sweetcorn
- 1 tbsp date syrup or pomegranate molasses (optional)
- salt to taste
- coriander (optional)
- salad leaves – to serve
- 1 avocado – diced
- tomatoes – 5 cherry / 2 medium – diced
- 1 tsp red onion – finely diced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- pinch chilli (fresh or dried)
- 1/2 lime – juiced
- garlic (optional)
- coriander / parsley (optional)
Cut the tofu into cubes (approx 24) and coat with the oil and paprika. Leave to marinate whilst you prepare the beanie rice mixture.
Cook your rice of choice. Drain and put aside until you add to the beanie mixture.
Heat a tbsp oil in your large frying pan and gently fry the onion for 5 minutes. Add the peppers, and cook on a medium heat for 8 minutes, stir so it doesn’t catch. Add the garlic, chilli and paprika, stir and continue cooking for 1 minute, taking care not to burn.
Once the peppers are softened, add the beans with their water, followed by the drained sweetcorn and 1/2 tsp salt. Mix well and cook for another 10 mins, then add the cooked rice. Stir and heat through.
I like sweet and savoury, so I add a good tbsp of date syrup or pomegranate molasses and chopped coriander if using. Adjust your seasonings to taste.
Whilst the rice and beanie mixture are cooking, make your salsa by combining all the salsa ingredients. Cover and put aside until ready to serve.
Once the beanie rice is ready and being kept warm, heat the grill and place the tofu cubes onto the foiled tray. Cook for 5 mins until hot and slightly browned. You could also bake in a hot oven.
Spoon the beanie rice onto a bed of salad leaves, top with the tofu cubes and serve the salsa on top or on the side. If you have 1/2 lime to use, I love a squeeze plus a drizzle of pomegranate molasses too.